1987 Toyota GTV
Иллюстрации: Stepho’s Toyota Site
Toyota GTV (a personal grand tourer with a gas turbine engine).
Shown at the 1987 Tokyo Motor Show.
Used the Gas Turbine II engine.
A regenerator took waste heat and transferred it to the incoming air, increasing efficiency.
A one stage turbine was used to drive the compressor while a second turbine was connected to the driveshaft.
The second stage also took the place of the fluid flywheel (torque convertor).
The main advantages of a gas turbine engine are:
- fewer moving parts,
- efficient rotational movements instead of inefficient reciprocating movements,
- more tolerant of different fuel types and grades,
- no need for water cooling, water pumps and radiators.
The main disadvantages are:
- high internal temperatures,
- high precision required during manufacturing (costly).
По материалам: Stepho’s Toyota Site